Caves of Appin
Appin is just south of Glencoe and a good source of new finds for the GSG.
There are four main areas just east of Loch Linnhe (only the most significant
caves are listed):
- Uamh Nan Claig-Ionn (Cave of the Skulls) [see rigging guide]
- Scotland's deepest cave, although see Rana Hole in Assynt.
- Claon Uamh (Sloping Cave)
- Uamh Na Duilean Briste (Cave of Broken Expectations)
- Uamh Na Mnathan Uasal an Duror (Cave of the Old Ladies of Duror)
- Uamh a'Bhruthaich Chais Fhada (Long Drop Cave)
- Uamh Nan Guthan (Cave of the Voices)
- Uamh Raineach (Fern Cave)
- Uamh Steall Na Burich (Cave of the Roaring Waters)
- Glenstockdale Cave
- Cave of the Heifer's Outwash
- The most complex (by plan) cave in Scotland.
- Coire Mulrooney
- Allt Priomh Uamha (Main Stream Cave)
- Uamh a'Chomaichag (Owl Hole)
- Dundiggin Hole
- Contains some fine shallow gour pools at the end.
- Poll Seomar (Chamber Pot)
- Uamh Nan Seobhrach (Primrose Hole)
- Uamh Coire Sheileach
Caves of Scotland